The journey so far…

August 2009 – stop taking BC pills. Tired of all the hormones.

? 2009- DH is prescribed testosterone injections for non fertility related reasons

August 2010 – I visit doc for yearly checkup. I express concern about my cycles because they have tended to be irregular. Doc schedules CD 7 bloodwork and an HSG on CD 11. Bloodwork comes back normal. HSG reveals one blocked tube. I’m told it’s ok because “you only need one”.

February 2011 – One tube isn’t doing it. We make appt. with RE. Hubby gets semen analysis. SA shows NO sperm. (so THAT’s the issue!) I get dx’d with mild PCOS. RE asks about history and recommends 4 months off testosterone to see if there is any swimmer recovery (apparently testosterone injections interfere with pituitary gland sending signals to produce sperm, hence no sperm)

August 2011 We wait 6 months, obviously no luck naturally. Second SA – 5.6 million sperm. 40% motility, 80% abnormal. DH has low normal testosterone and LH levels. VA hospital prescribes 3x weekly shots of HSG to help recover swimmers.

September 2011 third SA – contaminated. Hormone levels look good though, they say, so I guess that’s supposed to be reassuring. Re-visit RE, who tells us that we should be patient, but if we want to do anything now, IVF is our only option. We don’t have the money for this right now, so I guess we are going with patience.

November 2011 – fourth SA. 9.4 million sperm. 20% motility. 70% normal. Endocrinologist says he’s seen couples get pregnant with 9 million sperm. Here’s hoping! Endocrinologist also says we need to be patient because it could take up to a year. I am not that patient.

December 2011- Fifth SA. DH finally admitted he refused to tell me what it was because it was lower. But, he states endo said that “things look good”.   DH wants to wait out the year. I’m skeptical. At the very least, planning on a break for a month or two. I’m tired of temping and peeing on sticks.

Christmas: AF shows her lovely face on X-mas morning. We have a long talk and decide waiting isn’t worth it. Going to schedule another meeting with RE in January.

January 2012 – Met with RE again for IVF consult. He said we’ve waited enough time and while we still don’t have enough sperm for anything but an IVF, at least we have sperm. Decide its time to pull out the big guns. Plan to start BC late Feb with hopeful transfer mid-April. REALLY hoping we only have to do this once.

February 2012 – Bryan’s endocrinologist decides to add FSH to his hormone regimen, swearing this will increase his sperm count and we’ll get pregnant on our own. The decision to push forward or wait lies with me….

March 2012 – Decide to wait it out a couple more months.

April 2012– While debating on IVF here or IVF Vacation, Bryan goes for an updated SA and astonishingly his sperm count is within normal limits! 36 million, 70% motility!!

May 2012 -A UTI, an allergy/asthma flare up, among other things, make for a messed up cycle that naturally does not work. I decide to throw in the towel on putting everything on hold and tell DH he can finally build the fence for the backyard. Later this month we actually buy new PERGO floors and a washer/dryer!

June 1, 2012 – call RE’s office to update them on sperm count and ask opinion on trying an IUI cycle. Nurse gives us the thumbs up pending the doc seeing DH’s most recent lab results.

July 2, 2012- CD 2 baseline ultrasound. All looks good. Begin Femara CD 3-7 and Follistim CD 7-9

July 10,2012 – CD 9 follicle check. Showing good follicle growth, though mostly on the right side, which happens to be the side that’s blocked. Am told to decrease my Follistim dose to 25 iu for two days and come back. I figure lefty will catch up.

July 12, 2012- CD 11 follicle check. All dominant follicles are growing on my blocked side. Follicles on the left actually shrunk. IUI canceled. Told to trigger anyway and try timed intercourse, but unless DH now has super sperm that can bust through blockages, I’m pretty sure this cycle is a wash.

July 29 2012: No super sperm. No more IUI’s. Done with this nonsense and moving on.


August 1, 2012: Start BCP for IVF cycle. Tentative retrieval scheduled for September 5, 2012.

August 15, 2012: Start 10 units Lupron each morning. Discontinue BCP August 18.

August 20, 2012: Semen analysis with freeze for back up.

August 23, 2012: Clearing ultrasound and injection instructions for stims. Have 16 follicles on R ovary and 13 on left. Start to wonder if my R ovary really might be the dominant one and take note to pay attention to this.

August 25, 2012: Start 2 shots per day: 10 units of Lupron with 10 units of low dose HCG each morning. 150 units of Follistim at night.

August 28, 2012: Bloodwork to check estridol level. Estrogen is ” a little higher than we like at this stage” per my nurse at 399. Decrease Follistim to 125 for two days. Return Thursday for more vampires and dildo wands.

August 30, 2012: More bloodwork and an ultrasound check. 18 follicles on right and 16 on left. Didn’t get count of larger ones, but looked to be 12-15. Estridol level comes back at 784. Continue follistim at 125 for one day and 100 the next. Return Saturday for more vampires and dildo wands.  ER moved to Tuesday, September 4.

September 1, 2012 – Per the ultrasound tech, I have “a lot” of follicles. Estrogen is high at 3000. 75 units follistim and back again tomorrow

September 2, 2012- We are locked and loaded! Trigger at 830, back one more morning for bloodwork and retrieval Tuesday.

September 3, 2012 – I screw up my trigger shot and have to do it again, retrieval is pushed back to Wednesday.

September 5, 2012 – Retrieval day – 28 eggs retrieved. Told of probable 5 day transfer

September 6, 2012 – Of 28 eggs, 21 fertilize. Scheduled for 5 day transfer Monday, September 10

September 7, 2012  – obsessively email nurse (well, I only emailed her once) about status of embryos. She said all still looks good and we are definitely still on for Monday

September 8&9, 2012 – try not to worry about how many have survived, as its a weekend and can’t get any kind of report. Bah.

September 10, 2012 – Transfer Day. Easy and painless. Doc says we will probably have 6-8 to freeze. He recommends transferring one, but I decide on two anyway. Transfer 2 grade 4AA blastocysts.

September 11, 2012 – 1dp5dt (one day past 5 day transfer): aside from some slight cramping/twinging, I feel totally normal. We find out we have 8 embryos that made it to freeze. Go to buy a pineapple to help with implantation and my car battery dies. Nice.

September 12, 2012 – 2dp5dt: still feel nothing. Despite knowing when my blood test is, my husband starts asking when we will know something.

September 13, 2o12 – 3dp5dt; still feel basically normal other than periodic twinging. Learn the pineapple thing really has no scientific proof (which I should have known) but decide to eat it anyway because it is yummy. Anxiety level is higher today.

September 14, 2012 – 4dp5dt; wake up feeling dizzy and lightheaded and officially have my first dose of post transfer crazy. Otherwise, still feel normal. I do wake up often in the middle of the night.

September 15, 2012 – 5dp5dt; after making a last minute plan to meet hubby halfway for a night, I take a test and its negative. (Because in case it was positive I wanted to be able to tell him in person) Despite the fact that there is still plenty of time I’m bummed the whole drive there and and one point convince myself that this IVF is a wash. I decide there will be no more early testing – I will wait till the night before or even until my blood work is taken. Commence some relaxation and retail therapy. Wake up frequently in the middle of the might and at one point have this strange cramp that literally moves from my back to my stomach.

September 16, 2012 – 6dp5dt; most of my sanity comes back. Some dizziness noted this morning, but doesn’t last long. I feel lonelier today, but that could be because of my self induced roller coaster ride I put myself through all weekend. Still waking up often in the middle of the might

September 17, 2012 – 7dp5dt; have this weird urge to retrieve my 48 hour old test and look at it again. There is a second line. But, I know tests can’t really be read after 10 minutes and so debate on evap line vs. BFP

September 18, 2012 – 8dp5dt; try my hardest to wait it out till beta, and make it till about 10 pm before I cave. BFP!!!!!!

September 19, 2012 – 9dp5dt and BETA day – 408!!

September 21, 2012 – 11dp5dt and 2nd Beta – 778, for a doubling time of 51.1 hours

September 28, 2012 –18dp5dt and final Beta – 8,273! for a doubling time of 49.25 hours

October 4, 2012 – 1st ultrasound confirms TWINS (both with visible heartbeats!)