Things are starting to get fun around here.
I’ve heard that you see much of yourself in your kids and I’ve really started to see this recently. I wrote a post awhile back about my “secret” triathlon training that I didn’t admit to until a week before the actual race in case I decided I wanted to back out. Even though I knew I wouldn’t, and I knew I’d be able to finish it, I just had to wait until I was 125% ready. Apparently, she is the same way.
Today, at 16 months on the dot, she is standing at the dining room table banging on the little middle section like the two of them like to do, and then suddenly, she let go and walked across the room. It took me about 4 steps to register what was happening and then I’m all “she’s walking, she’s walking she’s walking!” For the next half hour, she got up ON HER OWN, from the floor, refusing all help from us, and walked back and forth from the living room to the dining room. She fell periodically, but literally went from crawling to practically running in a half hour. Meanwhile, Miles continues to walk in circles around her, all like hey I’ve been doing this for weeks, big deal.
And we were literally hours away from dropping $30 on a pair of Stride Rite baby shoes she’d wear for a month before she grew out of them in hope they’d help.
Both have started to put the pieces back in the Fisher Price puzzle. We’d put the wooden puzzles away because they had become glorified teething toys, and maybe its time to bring them back out. They can both feed themselves with a bowl and spoon now, but still prefer fingers because its much faster. I’ve tried to show them scribbling a few times but they still want to eat the crayons. Miles has become a cup nesting master because he carries them around wherever he goes. Admittedly I haven’t put much thought into what is developmentally appropriate fine motor wise (OT friends don’t yell at me) because I’ve been more focused on trying to get Abby to walk and trying to get these guys to learn some words because we’ve started having TANTRUMS (dun dun dunnnnnnn).
Both have 5 words, give or take, that they use when they feel like it. Key word here is when they feel like it. Abby has said “hi daddy” a couple of times. I haven’t heard “mama” all month. Comprehension still appears to surpass expression at this point. When Miles heads towards the dog water or bathroom and I tell him to come back or get out of the bathroom, he actually does it. Abby cries. She knows what I mean when I ask if she wants to get out of the bathtub, but still won’t say or imitate out. She will give me her feet to put on her pants when I ask for them, they both know what it means when I say bedtime and eat. We get “done” periodically from both.
We are hitting the age now where I feel like its soon time for some hilariously awkward blog posts are in the works. Take a recent Facebook status, for example:
I asked Miles for a hug and opened my arms. He smiled and ran towards me, stopped, turned to the right and ran to hug his dad #rejected
Favorites this month
- Going outside – both, though more Miles. Despite numerous attempts to get at least one of them to try to say “out”, or SOMETHING, I’m just met with whining. One day. I swear, between work and home if I had a dollar for every time I sound like a broken record trying to get a kid to talk, I’d be rich.
- Nesting cups – Miles. He carries them all over the house. No, he hasn’t said cups. Grrr (Cups! cups! cup! tell me cup!)
- Brushing teeth – both
- Pool/water table – both
- Ball pit – both, but more Miles
- Waiting until the last possible second to walk, and drive her mama crazy – Abby
- Shoes – Abby
- Tantrum throwing – depends on the day
Some of these may be repeats. If you don’t like it, sorry (not really).
- We take a trip to James Island for an outdoor wedding reception
- Abby and I do NOT have a case of the Mondays
- We are made in the shade
- Miles discovers the wonder of the new ball pit
- Miles shows off some shades
- We practice some yoga
- We celebrate Aunt Natalie’s birthday
- And our 4th anniversary
- Daddy gets the twins dressed one morning…
- We break out the new swing set
- Miles tries to figure out how to watch Pocoyo without leaving the ball pit
- We are silly
- We do a DIY project
- Of course, the ever famous birthday pic attempt
- Finally, a well placed cup
A couple videos – no super funny ones this time
- Pools make Abby clap
- Miles tries to nest cups