Some good news today.
Last SA results:5.6 million sperm. 40% motility, 80% ABnormal
Today’s: 9.4 million sperm.20% motility. >70% normal.
It’s not a huge jump, but its something. Bryan said the endocrinologist told him he’s seen couples get pregnant with 9 million sperm. So I’m cautiously optimistic. Don’t get me wrong: an increase is positive. But here’s why I’m not jumping up and down yet:
The last visit we had with the fertility doc, he told us that functionally speaking, a difference of 5 million sperm and 10 million sperm is about the same when it comes to conception. In order for us to “qualify” for (i.e. be worth the money) an IUI, he recommends at least 20 million. So, even for that we’d need double where we are now.
He also said that he isn’t sure, since Bryan’s hormone levels are “low normal”, if adding more of the same hormones would make a huge difference, but he couldn’t say without seeing the numbers. So at this moment in time we’re still looking at IVF if we want a baby, but I’m definitely going to hold onto the endocrinologist mentioning he’s seen couples with 9 million sperm get pregnant on their own before. We sent the results to our fertility doc, and he gets more bloodwork done next visit to the VA, so we’ll see.
For anyone who is about the yell at me for being a “Debbie Downer”. I’m really not, I’m just trying to find a balance between being hopeful and being realistic. That, I’ve found, is not easy.
I’ve basically resigned myself to accepting that we are probably going to need IVF to have children, and am trying to prepare as if that’s the case. How I feel about this kinda varies depending on the day….but that’s a whole new post….however I will totally accept any magic baby or money fairies who would like to appear in front of me………………no? Drat.
At that, I leave you with this:
November 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm
My husband’s has been zero and up to 10 and usually holds between about 4-8 million with poor morphology. We decided to go with IVF, the morphology actually being the biggest factor. I don’t think you’re being a debbie downer at all, its tough to find that spot between optimistic and realistic.
November 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm
Thanks. We are still trying to wait it out and see if hubby’s will improve, but like I said I am preparing for IVF mentally and want to try to be as prepared as we can be financially. My insurance won’t cover anything 😦